Desktop VersionSite MapContact UsShare RSS


(Source :

Deadline looms for filing tax returns


Taxpayers who have not yet filed their individual tax returns should submit their returns on or before June 2, an Inland Revenue Department spokesman said today (May 27). For sole proprietors, the filing deadline is August 2.

Taxpayers can refer to the "Guide to Tax Return – Individuals" enclosed with the tax return. Answers to most of their questions can be found in the Guide. Further, if they need assistance in completing the tax return, they can visit the Inland Revenue Department homepage ( or call 187 8022 for enquiries.

As an alternative to filing paper returns, taxpayers can file their individual tax returns electronically through the Internet or a touch-tone phone. Internet filing offers a wide range of features such as pre-filling of data and estimation of salaries tax payable. The department has updated the tax computation function to reflect the tax relief measures after enactment of the relevant legislations by the Legislative Council. Through Internet filing, taxpayers can find out the amounts of their tax bills after the concession instantly.

To encourage e-filing, an automatic extension of one month to July 3, 2007, is granted to last year's e-filers. First-time e-filers will also be granted a two-week extension to June 16.

"If taxpayers cannot submit their tax returns within the normal due date of one month from its issue date, they can switch to e-filing and make use of the automatic extension to avoid penalty on late submission", the spokesman said.

E-filing requires the use of a digital certificate or an e-Tax Password. Registration for an e-Tax Password is simple. Just follow the steps given in the leaflet enclosed with the tax return and lodge the application online ( or call the Automated Telephone Registration Hotline at 183 2033. An Access Code will be issued to the applicant by post within three working days after the date of application.

Demonstrations on Internet filing and further information are now available on the Inland Revenue Department homepage. Taxpayers can visit the homepage or call 187 8011 for enquiries.

Ends/Sunday, May 27, 2007
Issued at HKT 14:31