Electronic Filing of Employer's Return
To facilitate system update, the Employer’s Return e-Filing Services is temporarily suspended from 24 March 2019 7:00a.m. to 1 April 2019 8:00a.m.. If you need to submit the Employer’s Return during the suspension period, please file in paper form.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
The ER e-Filing Services have the following two modes of submission:
(1) Online Mode (Login of the eTAX account by an Authorized Signer is required)
An Authorized Signer* is required to sign and submit the Employer’s Return / Notification through his/her eTAX account.
(2) Mixed Mode (Login of the eTAX account is NOT required)
This is a new mode of submission introduced in November 2018 which allows employers to designate a person to upload a data file containing the IR56 records via the ER e-Filing Services without the login of the Authorized Signer’s eTAX account. After uploading of the data file, a Control List (with Transaction Reference Number and QR code) will be generated by system. The Authorized Signer is required to sign and submit a paper Control List generated by the ER e-Filing Services system to complete the submission process.
* An Authorized Signer refers to the person in one of the followings capacities:
- Proprietor for a sole proprietorship business
- Precedent Partner for a partnership business
- Director, Company Secretary, Manager, Investment Manager (only applicable to a corporation that is an open-ended fund company), Provisional Liquidator / Liquidator for a corporation
- Principal Officer for a body of persons
Details of the ER e-Filing of Services
- Submission of a Data File Prepared by “Direct Keying”
Employers can complete and submit annual Employer’s Returns BIR56A plus IR56B, IR6036B plus IR56M and Employer’s Notifications IR56E/IR56F/IR56G (including amendment forms) through the Internet using the “Direct Keying” service of the Filing of Employer’s Return/Notifications Services
For annual submission of Employer’s Return / Notification (BIR56A/IR6036B) via Online Mode, employers can only perform submission once for each year of assessment and each data file created by Direct Keying can only contain up to 30 sets of IR56B/M forms. Multiple submissions for the same year are not allowed.
For additional/replacement/supplementary IR56B/M and original/additional/ replacement IR56E/F/G, employers can complete and submit up to 30 sets of IR56 forms each time. Multiple submissions in a day are allowed.
- Submission of a Data File by Uploading
Employers can submit a data file containing up to 800 records of IR56 forms prepared by the following means:
- IR56 Forms Preparation Tool (for forms IR56B/F)*
- IRD IR56B Software (for annual submission of IR56B with BIR56A)
- Pre-approved self-developed software ((for annual submission of IR56B with BIR56A)
For annual submission, employers are only allowed to submit once for each year of assessment. For other cases, employers are allowed to perform multiple submissions in a day.
*The IR56 Forms Preparation Tool will be enhanced to prepare IR56B forms for annual submission in April 2019.
Employers can designate a person to upload data files prepare through the following means:
- The IR56 Forms Preparation Tool (for forms IR56B/F)
- The IRD IR56B Software (starting from April 2019)
- Pre-approved self-developed software(starting from April 2019)
*The IR56 Forms Preparation Tool will be enhanced to cover preparation of IR56B forms for annual submission in April 2019.
After successful uploading of the data file, a Control List (with a QR Code and Transaction Reference Number), listing a summary of the IR56 forms stored in the data file will be generated by the ER e-Filing Services.
The Authorized Signer is required to sign on each and every page of the Control List and then submit it to the Department by post or in person to complete the submission process. For annual submission of the original IR56B records, a duly completed and signed paper BIR56A is required to be submitted with the duly signed Control List.
Multiple uploads in a day and for a year of assessment are accepted. However, employers should ensure all the relevant Control Lists are signed and submitted to the Department in order to complete the submission process. The mere uploading of the data file will not be regarded as having complied with the employer’s obligations as stipulated in the Inland Revenue Ordinance.