Cancellation of Business Registration
- If you cease your business or any branch business you must notify the Business Registration Office in writing within 1 month of the date of cessation. Your business registration number/branch registration number, name, address and date of cessation should be stated clearly in the letter. You should also advise your correspondence address after cessation and contact telephone number. Alternatively, you may furnish the details on the form IRC 3113. Please remember that the business registration fee and levy must be paid up to and including the year in which the business has ceased.
- Pursuant to section 2(1A) of the Business Registration Ordinance (Cap.310), every company incorporated in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance (Cap.622), whether or not in operation, shall be deemed to be a person carrying on business and is required to take out a business registration certificate annually until the company is dissolved or deregistered under the Companies Ordinance.
- In the case of a limited company in liquidation, you should also forward a copy of the special resolution for liquidation. Upon submission of the documents required, the Commissioner will consider suppressing the issue of further demand notes for business registration fees and levy in respect of the years subsequent to that in which the winding-up commenced. In any event, the fee and levy must be paid up to and including the year in which the winding-up commenced. For companies applying to the Registrar of Companies for deregistration, please refer to Q21 of "FAQ - Request for a Notice of No Objection (NNO) to a Company Being Deregistered".
- You can either submit the notification of cessation in person or by post. In order to ensure the authenticity of the notification received, submission by facsimile transmission is not acceptable.
- Please refer to Purpose of Business Register and Privacy of Personal Data.
- Any person who fails to submit notifications shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable to a fine of $5,000 and to imprisonment for 1 year.