Desktop VersionSite MapContact UsShare RSS
  • Default font size
  • Bigger font size
  • Biggest font size

Completion of Profits Tax Returns, Supplementary Forms and Other Forms

Special Points to Note 

1. Financial Statements Prepared in Foreign Currencies
  All amounts must be shown in Hong Kong dollars (excluding cents).

If the financial statements are prepared in foreign currencies, convert the amounts into Hong Kong dollars before completion and state the conversion rate used.

  The exchange rate of the major currencies are available here.
2. Assessable Profits or Adjusted Loss
The Assessable Profits or Adjusted Loss must be the figure before adjustment of any loss brought forward from prior years.
Emoluments, interest on capital etc. paid to the proprietor (or spouse) / any partner (or spouse) from the business
  The information must be provided in the appropriate items.
(Read item (2)(a) in Part 1 of Section G of Notes and Instructions - Form BIR52. Such amount must be adjusted)
Personal Particulars of Proprietor or Partners and Allocation of Profits / (Loss)
  When filling in the names of the proprietor or partners, enter the surname first.
  Election for Personal Assessment
  • For the proprietor or partner who wishes to elect for personal assessment, Item 6.2 in BIR52 must be completed with a "tick".
  • Election for personal assessment by the proprietor or partner should be made in Tax Return - Individuals (BIR60).
  • If the proprietor or partner who is required to complete a BIR60 but does not make a valid election in the BIR60, the election made in Item 6.2 in BIR52 will be disregarded and profits tax demand note may be issued if it is a profits case.


The allocation of assessable profits or adjusted loss among partners (including corporate partners or non-corporate partners of limited partnership fund) should be entered in Item 6.2 in BIR52. This is required, even if the proprietor or partner does not elect for Personal Assessment. The total allocation of assessable profits or adjusted loss must be equal to the amount in Item 1.1 or 1.2 in BIR52.
5. Basis period
You should tick the box "Yes" only if there is a change of accounting date, that is, financial statements are made up to a date different from that of last year (for example, financial statements for last year were made up to 31 March but financial statements for this year were made up to 30 June). Please state on a separate sheet the reasons for the change of accounting date.
6. Financial Data

If any items are not shown in the financial statements, simply insert "0". There should be no amendment to any of the items stated. For example, do not change "Purchases" to "Cost of Goods Sold".

7. Interest Expense
Details of the interest paid or payable, including the name and address of the lender, his relationship with the taxpayer, the purpose for which the loan was obtained, any security given to the lender and the specific condition under section 16(2) of the IRO which the taxpayer relies on for the claim for deduction must be given on a separate sheet.
Hire purchase interest and mortgage loan interest must be included as part of the interest expenses paid.


 back to top

Format specifications for Supporting Documents accompanying Profits Tax Return and Control List (IR1477)

 back to top

FAQ [BIR51 & BIR52]

 back to top


 back to top

FAQ [Supplementary Form and Other Form]

 back to top

Average Exchange Rates of Major Foreign Currencies

 back to top

Rates of Depreciation

See Appendix A to C of DIPN 7 (Revised): Machinery and Plant - Depreciation Allowances.