e-Stamping of Document
The e-Stamping system will generate stamp certificates to replace conventional stamps. Stamp certificates will be issued instantly upon receipt of stamp duty through online mode or within 2 working days after receipt of stamp duty through offline mode.
Stamp Certificates issued by the Collector of Stamp Revenue have the same legal status as conventional stamps on instruments. Authenticity check of certificates is available at www.gov.hk/estamping.
Stamp Certificate Sample 1 (For Stamp Certificate issued before 19 January 2008)
Stamp Certificate Sample 2 (For Stamp Certificate issued before 19 January 2008)
Stamp Certificate Sample 3 (For Stamp Certificate issued on 19 January 2008 or thereafter)
Stamp Certificate Sample 4 (For Stamp Certificate issued on 19 January 2008 or thereafter)
With stamp certificate and e-stamping:
- No need to present original instrument to Stamp Office, unless you wish to have conventional stamp.
- Submit stamping application either in paper form or electronically.
- Pay stamp duty online, through existing tax payment channels or at Stamp Office.
- Receive Stamp Certificate via the Internet or in paper form depending on the mode of submission.
- Attach the stamp certificate to the original instrument as evidence of stamping.
An instant stamping service through GovHK (www.gov.hk/etax)
- This service mainly applies to in-time stamping applications of property and share transfer instruments. Late stamping cases which do not involve bulk application and not exceeding 4 years without request for remission of penalty may also use this service to obtain the stamp certificate after online payment of the duty and penalty.
- Payment of deferred duty or stamping of subsequent agreement/assignment is available to the same applicant who has previously submitted the initial stamping application.
- e-stamping service does not apply to:-
|-||stock transactions involving derivatives or share swap, indebtedness incurred taken as whole or part of the consideration, or the consideration is subject to adjustment|
|-||property transactions involving nomination, supplemental agreements or special stamp duty|
|-||the tenancy agreement has consideration other than rent (e.g. premium, construction fee etc.)|
|-||transactions involve more than 4 purchasers, 4 landlords, 4 tenants, 4 transferors and / or 4 transferees|
Submit Stamping Application:
– Initial Stamping of Agreement / Assignment
– Payment of Deferred Stamp Duty
– Subsequent Agreement / Assignment
– Tenancy Agreement– Contract Note and / or Instrument of Transfer
Upload Stamping Applications in Bulk:
– Initial Stamping of Agreement / Assignment
– Tenancy Agreement
– Contract Note and / or Instrument of Transfer
- Print or Enquire Stamp Certificate
- Print Stamp Certificate Control List
- Print Stamp Duty Payment Notice
- Download E-Stamp Account Application Form or Activate Account/Change Password
- For property documents, inputting as many as 50 stamping requests in one go by uploading them (details).
- For share transfer instruments, submitting stamping applications in bulk with a maximum of 5,000 instruments at any one time (details).
- Saving partially completed application form for submission later.
- Retrieving a previously submitted record as input template for a new application.
- A choice of Online or Offline payment mode (details).
- Checking authenticity of a stamp certificate on hand via the free-of-charge "Enquire" Function.
- Online activation of E-Stamp Account or change of password.
- Linking to the Rating and Valuation Department's web page to complete tenancy-related form in one go.
- Service available anytime and anywhere with Internet facilities, even after office hours or on Saturday, Sunday or public holiday.
- Stamping of urgent cases that cannot be processed by counter submission.
- Submitting stamping application despite the original instrument is in use and cannot be presented for stamping physically to avoid late penalty.
- Saving of time and cost.
- Removing the risk of losing or damaging original instruments in the course of delivery or processing.
- Flexible payment methods available.
- Easy-to-use Input Form, Retrieval and Save functions etc. to facilitate electronic submission.
- Uploading stamp requests without the need to input data.
- Online Payment
- GovHK website accepts payment by PPS, VISA Card, MasterCard, JCB and UnionPay (details).
- Stamp Certificate will be available online instantly after payment.
- Offline Payment
-After submitting the stamping application, you may print the payment notice and pay the duty via existing tax payment channels (details) or at Stamp Office.
-Stamp Certificate will be available online within 2 working days after payment is received by IRD.
-Payments effected after the daily cut-off time of your selected payment service will be recorded as received on the following working day.
Similar to other electronic services on the Internet, online authentication is required before using the service. Users of e-Stamping service can authenticate by one of the following means:
- E-Stamp Account (details).
- Taxpayer Identification Number and password (details).
- Digital Certificate issued by Hongkong Post or the Digi-Sign Certification Services Ltd.
- E-Stamp Accounts are for company users (e.g. solicitor firms, property agency companies, etc.) as a means of authentication when using the e-Stamping service. There is no processing fee on users.
- It is NOT a deposit account and will not be used in settlement of stamp duty.
- Any entity, sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation can apply for E-Stamp Account(s) by completing Form No. I.R.S.D.109.
- The organization's main office and its branches can each have a maximum of 20 E-Stamp Accounts.
- Each E-Stamp Account will have a unique account number and password.
- After receipt of E-Stamp Account Application form, Stamp Office will issue a notification to inform the organization of its E-Stamp Account number(s). A few days later, a separate notification will be issued with the access code(s) for activating the account(s).
- E-Stamp Account holders can freely change their passwords online. The use of E-Stamp Account password is governed by its Terms and Conditions.
Demonstration on e-Stamping
Please click "Online Demo" at www.gov.hk/estamping for Demonstration on e-Stamping.
For uploading stamping applications in bulk for share transfer document, please click the links below to watch the demonstration videos.
|No.||e-Stamping Circulars||Date Issued|
|1/2020||Enhancements to e-Stamping of Share Transfer Instruments||31 August 2020|
|1/2019||e-Stamping of Share Transfer Instruments||16 December 2019|
|1/2011||Stamp Certificate||14 November 2011|
|1/2009||Enhancements to e-Stamping Service||18 November 2009|
|1/2008||e-Stamping Service under GovHK||21 January 2008|
|1/2007||Reprovision of e-Stamping Service under GovHK||31 December 2007|
|4/2004||Stamp Certificates||9 November 2004|